Blockchain in Business Research
While blockchain-based applications such as Bitcoin are still in their infancy, a dramatic increase of industrial and academic interest in blockchain technology is evident. In addition, start-ups, as well as industry initiatives, are presently working intensely on blockchain-based innovations, making the technology one of the most promising drivers of innovation across many sectors and industries. However, understanding and designing of blockchain-based systems requires know-how in various areas, as well as mindful consideration of larger economic and societal issues. These objectives provide the starting point for this VHB Pro-Dok PhD seminar.
This course will focus on educating students in blockchain technology to develop conceptual as well as practical solutions and learn how to generate new theoretical insights based upon their research. The participants will learn how blockchain works and how it may disrupt or transform existing business models. They will gain insights into paradigmatic changes occurring from economic, organizational, and computer science viewpoints. As learning outcomes, the participants will receive insights how to conduct information systems research on blockchain that is innovative, rigorous, and relevant.
How is the course of interest for PhD students?
- Identifying research opportunities with leading edge technology
- Understanding how blockchain technology may interact with and affect the respective phenomenon of their interest
- Learning how to work in interdisciplinary settings with partners applying scientific methods on real-world problems
- Critically reflecting on their own PhD projects in the light of emerging blockchain research and generating academically sound, theoretical insights
- Writing a research paper on blockchain
13. - 16. October 2020
IT University Copenhagen